Sunday, August 16, 2009

Jakob's Bible

Tonight I was sitting on the couch and Jakob was playing in his room when I heard him "uh-uh-uhing". I get up off of the couch to see what he needs and I find him sitting in the glider with the Bible in his lap and a huge smile on his face as he sees me.


I know what he wants. This isn't the first time I have found him sitting waiting for me (or beckoning me) with this book in his lap. Our nightly routine changed after I found this Bible at Barnes and Noble during a quick trip to pick up a Farmers' Almanac for David. I wasn't looking for a bible, but it's not everyday we venture into Corpus or into Barnes and Noble, so I decided to look around for a bit. Dangerous, I know.

I had told David's parents that Jakob could use a Bible for Christmas when they asked for gift ideas. They responded with an adult Bible in the King James Version. That is a great gift, but not something he'll be using anytime soon.

So anyway, the whole point of this post is to show you the best children's Bible I have seen. Ever. Now you should know that I have been teaching in Children's Ministry since I was in the ninth grade. I even spent a summer during college doing an internship at a large church in Houston in Children's Ministry. So I have had my fair share of exposure to children's Bibles.

Most of them are lacking in some form or another. The most common grievances are poor illustration and not many details in the story, or not many stories included in the Bible.

So now it picture time, so you can see for yourself what a great find this was.

This is the front of the Bible.
Here is just ONE PAGE of the table of contents. Just look at all of the stories.

Here is one of the stories. You can see the illustration. Other than all of the characters looking like they need a tissue, they're pretty good.




One more picture of my favorite little boy reading his new favorite book.

7 comments:

Niecey said...

Excellent. I love our kids bible too. We've only had it for a few months, and we too went through loads of kids bibles which I wasn't keen on for one reason or another. Eventually we got the kids version of the message. I love it because it is paraphrased scripture by scripture, rather than retelling entire passages. And on every few pages you can search for "Manty" - a praying mantus they've hidden in the illustrations. It keeps my kids interested. It has wee questions to ask and things too. I'm lovin' it.

Unknown said...

Niecey, I almost got that Bible. The one that is the kids' Message. I had a hard time choosing but ended up choosing this one. I will most likely end up getting that one. I am a book fiend and especially a Bible one.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
2Shaye ♪♫ said...

Wonderful to hear about this. We've not been happy with what we found, either. I think paraphrasing can be okay, but sometimes we've found so many children's texts to leave out important details or to completely add in personal interpretation. After hubby's Biblical Greek undergrad degree, 5 years of seminary and a few of our years in full-time ministry, and my master's degree focused on children's literature, we thought maybe we were just being too picky. It made sense. But we would sincerely love to find something we could suggest to others.

Thanks so much for the information!! I will be checking into this!

Amy - AKA - TigerMommie said...

How sweet!
Sounds like a great bible.........And I love the new look!

Pam D said...

I just love the fact that he LOVES the Bible! Once they can read, it's important to have an accurate translation, even if it's written for kids. At this age? To have him WANT you to read the Bible to him is huge. May it continue to be a source of joy and knowledge for all of his days....

5 dudes, a diva and total chaos said...

We have the same bible and our kids love it. He have actually had to buy a second copy because we read the first one to bits!